Work at BE Theater
Job Title: Security Guard
Job location: Chicago
Position type: Full-time Contractual
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Skills: Computer Skills
Schedule: This is a full-time (35-40 / week) position, hourly contractual position. The ideal candidate for this position will be available to work evenings and weekends.
ABOUT THE BLACK ENSEMBLE THEATER
Black Ensemble Theater (BE), Founded in 1976 by the phenomenal actress, producer, and playwright Jackie Taylor, has grown from a small community arts organization to a vibrant nationally and internationally renowned arts institution. A leader and innovator in the African-American and mainstream arts communities, Black Ensemble Theater is recognized as one of the most diverse theaters in the country, producing excellent musical theater. On November 18, 2011, BE celebrated the Grand Opening of the Black Ensemble Theater Cultural Center, the theater’s first permanent home located at 4450 N. Clark Street, in the heart of Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
The mission of the Black Ensemble Theater is to eradicate racism and its damaging effects upon our society through the utilization of theater arts. BE is the only theater in the nation whose mission is to eradicate racism. We utilize theater and educational outreach programs to bring races together in a community which embraces similarities and fosters dialogue, understanding and acceptance.
The Security Officer position is responsible for ensuring the protection of the guest of the Black Ensemble Theater, employees, artists, facility and is primarily show based. Concurrent with ensuring a safe environment, this position provides excellent internal and external customer service.
- Provides security for theater, public spaces, studios, meeting rooms, offices, storage areas, traffic corridors.
- Is vigilant to maintain situational awareness at all times to mitigate vulnerabilities, and prevent persons from removing, vandalizing, stealing, or destroying theater property.
- Observes changes of any kind; promptly reports inconsistencies and potentially harmful conditions such as environmental effects (water leak, humidity, temperature, condensation, etc.) to the Facilities Manager.
- Understands and executes Security’s standard operating procedures and special orders.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance, administers first aid and records details of visitor incidents as needed.
- Internal and external customer service:
- Respectfully remind/inform visitors of rules, regulations, and proper conduct while in the theater.
- Provides visitors information on the Theater, its programs, and activities.
- Uphold the Theater’s commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.
- Maintains a team-oriented attitude.
- Ability to work late hours
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Some training in security and/or safety is preferred.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Have intermediate computer skills to operate innovative, wireless technology at client specific sites.
- Ability to handle crisis situations at the client site, calmly and efficiently.
- Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability, in a dynamically moving and event-driven environment.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in carrying out established policies and procedures for security and safety of people, property, and theater facilities in a consistent manner.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate verbally, and with appropriate body language.
- Display exceptional customer service and communication skills.
- Possess effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with ability to deal with all levels of personnel and the general public in a professional and effective manner.
- PERC cardholders preferred
- Work in various environments such as cold weather, rain/snow or heat.
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 40 pounds.
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift.
- Most often, work is inside, in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Shift times may vary to meet the theater’s requirement to staff the facilities during open hours and to staff private events.
- Work requires long periods of sustained standing.
- Speaking/Hearing: Clear dictation is required for activities which demand detailed or important instructions spoken to others accurately, clearly, or quickly. Adequate hearing is necessary for effective communication with visitors.
- Stooping/Kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for performing inspections.
- Reaching/Handling: Good manual dexterity is necessary for radio use and handling of keys and doors.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Black Ensemble Theater is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
Please fill out the form below and upload your resume to be considered for this position.