Work at BE
Black Ensemble (BE) was founded in 1976 by producer and playwright Jackie Taylor. The mission of the Black Ensemble Theater is to eradicate racism and its devastating effects upon our society through the utilization of theater arts. BE achieves its mission through productions and programs that work to help individuals understand, respect and accept our sameness and greatness as human beings.
The Black Ensemble Theater seeks a Development Assistant who will report to the Director of Development and the Executive Director. The Development Assistant will work in partnership with Black Ensemble’s executive development team to develop, plan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive Annual Giving Program to increase participation and long-term financial growth from individual donors. This position will successfully organize and develop direct mail solicitations, online giving, giving circles/clubs, and acknowledgement of all donations. The position will also help plan and organize all special events, including the annual Legacy Continues Gala.
Responsibilities: Specific responsibilities for the Development Assistant include but are not limited to:
· Manage Donor Database system (Ovationtix) to keep complete and accurate fundraising records at all times
· Input all gifts and manage all reporting through Ovationtix
· Ensure donor stewardship via timely acknowledgment letters and acknowledgment in programs and publications, websites and donor walls.
· Create monthly reports for the Director of Finance and Executive Development Staff
Coordinate all digital communications to Next Stage Society and Friends of the Black Ensemble, including event invitations and quarterly newsletters.
· Identify, research, cultivate, build relationships with current and existing individual donors including direct mail and e-campaigns.
· Assist in the development and implementation of donor stewardship plan
Plan and implement direct mail solicitation campaigns – coordinating mailing schedule, theme, and donor segments through electronic and direct mail
Conduct post evaluation for donor appeals and analyze program results to plan segmentation for future mailings and/or cultivation activities.
Support the Director of Development and Executive Director in developing and implementing a recruitment and retention plan, for individual donors to further cultivate relationships.
· Help plan and support all Special Events, including but not limited to Next Stage Society Previews, opening night celebrations, Legacy Continues Gala, and The Soul of a Powerful Woman, through activities like invitation creation, mailing event invitations, RSVP tracking, creating registration lists and nametags, planning catering, guest seating, and other day-of logistics
· Help plan, execute, manage all activities for annual Legacy Continues Gala.
· Help plan, execute, manage all activities for Black Ensemble special donor cultivation events (about 12-16 events per year)
Board of Directors
· Attend all board meetings and take notes
· Prepare catering and logistics for all board meetings
Ideal candidates will offer:
Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a specific ability to create donor solicitations, and thank you letters.
Experience with Donor Database management systems (Ovationtix preferred)
Event management experience
Demonstrated record of accomplishment in annual giving, knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques, and experience managing successful direct mail programs.
· Attention to detail, with a commitment to maintaining BE’s unique voice while improving the quality, content and format of solicitations/appeals
· Excellent time management skills, ability to manage multiple projects and identify priorities
· Professional demeanor with the ability to work independently and as a team player
· Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Ability to communicate successfully with stakeholders, patrons, performers, and employees
· Strong sense of personal and professional accountability
· Desire to work in a dynamic, fast paced and ever changing environment
Salary is $35K and a health benefit is included. Inquiries should be forwarded to Jackie Taylor at email@example.com. Black Ensemble is an equal opportunity employer.